LGBT Safe & Supportive Schools Project
BeLonG To and HSE’s LGBT Safe and Supportive Schools Project model was developed to create safe, supportive and fully inclusive schools for young lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) students.
The project developed and test a Whole School Community Model - a model that involved working with teachers, parents, students and the broader community to build a safe, supportive and inclusive environment for LGBT young people.
The LGBT Safe and Supportive Schools Project was developed to help create schools that are fully inclusive of LGBT young people. The project is unique and innovative, both in national and international contexts, in that it:
- Empowers schools to tackle homophobic and transphobic bullying in all its forms
- Involves a whole-school community approach
- Is jointly led by a voluntary and statutory agency
- Spanned a full academic year
- Involved whole staff training (teaching and non teaching) at participating schools
- Involved a high level of access to the full school community over a twelve month period
- Was rigorously tested through the administration of intensive questionnaires at four points over a twelve month period and through the use of ‘control’ schools.
Download the Materials